Read wordpress search and replace wildcards for more information.
Search Replace DB is an extremely good tool meant exclusively for the developers. This makes them run a search real quick. If you want to replace a particular word or an HTML string with another word on WordPress, then you are supposed to go for the search/replace option.
For running the search/replace, visit the Tools option and then click on the search/replace option. Once you run a search/replace, you will find a message at the top of the page with some information related to the search/replace. You can click on the link to see more information about the run.
Also, sometimes when you want to remove some code from the database, then WordPress search and replace wildcards show some trouble.
The limited search and replace features in MySQL are not many. This makes the entire process of wildcard changes quite difficult. There is also Search Regex which adds some good search and replaces functions in WordPress. These allow you to search smoothly.
One of the more advanced features of WP-CLI is its powerful search and replace function. Search-replace is very handy when changing a site’s URL or other frequently appearing text inside a WordPress database. It can save a vast amount of time over manually updating these values and is much easier than crafting a raw MySQL query to do the same thing.
The usage of the search-replace command is mentioned below and more details of the usage can be found here
usage: wp search-replace <old> <new> [<table>...] [--dry-run] [--network] [--all-tables-with-prefix] [--all-tables] [--export[=<file>]] [--export_insert_size=<rows>] [--skip-columns=<columns>] [--include-columns=<columns>] [--precise] [--recurse-objects] [--verbose] [--regex] [--regex-flags=<regex-flags>]
It’s easy to use wildcards and regex patterns to replace tags or keywords within WordPress. In the example below, all the content within the tags <noindex> is being cleared.
wp search-replace ‘<noindex(.*?)>(.*?)<\/noindex>’ ” –regex wp_posts wp_postmeta wp_terms –regex-flags=’ms’ –dry-run
For all your search needs, alternatively, you can use WP fastest site search plugin from WordPress plugin by Expertrec
- Install WP fastest site search plugin from WordPress plugin store.
- Go to https://cse.expertrec.com/newuser?platform=wordpress.
- Enter your WordPress website URL and click on next->
- The crawl will start in the background.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel.
- In your left panel you must be able to see expertrec’s WordPress plugin, click on that.
- Get your site ID (or) API key from your expertrec control panel ( here ).
- Copy paste your site id in your WordPress control panel and click on save changes.
- Make sure you have upgraded to a paid plan before 15 days of free trial. (Price begins at 9 USD per month)
- That’s it! Your brand new WordPress search is up and running! Here are snapshots of the search form and the search results pages.
- Snapshot of your WordPress search autocomplete.
- Snapshot of your WordPress search results page.
- Snapshot of your WordPress search spelling error tolerance feature.
The wp search plugin helps you to show search results either in the search overlay mode or on a separate page. The WordPress search widget plugin is based on search results php in WordPress to search a site. You can also modify the search results order as per your requirements.
Looking for how to add a search box manually in WordPress header. If you are facing any issues with the search you can check WordPress search widget not working. Read more on wordpress search not working how to fix