In this article, we will see how to add meta tags to your WordPress home page or any other page. This might be helpful in establishing your site ownership to webmaster tools such as Google and Bing. Also, read- Easy ways of adding search to sites on WordPress.
If you still haven’t installed a search engine on your WordPress site you can learn how to add search box in WordPress page
Here is more information on how to create a WordPress search results page plugin
Internet users expect certain features from the websites they visit. It’s important that you work with their expectations when it comes to searching. Having a WordPress search results page that includes the items they’re used to will help keep them interested and engaged in your content.
Let’s take an example if in case you are trying to add google webmaster tools and Google is asking you to upload this piece of meta tag to your home page such as the following piece of code.
Here are the steps to create a meta tag on the home page of your wordpress site.
- Login to your wordpress admin panel.
- Go to add plugins.
- Search for meta tag manager and install the plugin.
- Go to settings-> meta tag manager
- Click on Add meta tag.
- Click on Add meta tag.
- Under tag, type choose “name”
- Under name-value enter the value next to meta name – in this case, it is (google-site-verification)
- Under content attribute- enter the value next to content= in this case (JWTk…)
- Under where to display the tag, choose the front page or any other option that suits your need.
- That’s it-> You have added the meta tag to your google search console.
- Now you can go to your webmaster and click on verify to verify ownership of your wordpress site.
If you still do not have a search bar on your WordPress site you can learn how to create a wordpress search bar. You can also read how to create a wordpress site search to know more. Once you add the search you might want to display it on a new/separate search results page. You can create a search results page for WordPress or learn how to create a custom search results page in WordPress.
Advanced users or sometimes general users can also try creating a wordpress search for custom fields. Or try WordPress advanced search form custom fields. Sometimes one could need certain features which are or might not be available in a standard form you can try WordPress advanced search form.
Google CSE offers custom search solutions for WordPress too but it comes with ads. You can add google search bar on your site.
The default WordPress search doesn’t search through custom fields. The same can also be achieved by creating custom search form in WordPress