How to add search to your website? Here are 5 search engines that can help you do this- 1. Google custom search, 2. Duckduckgo custom search, 3. Yandex site search, 4. Bing site search 5. Expertrec custom search engine.
Adding site search to your website helps users discover content easily.It is also useful for SEO purposes and understanding user intent on your website. Here are 5 ways (3 of them are free ) to add search to your website –
- Google custom search.
- DuckDuckgo custom search (free)
- Bing site search (paid)
- Expertrec site search (Sign Up) (paid)
1. Expertrec site search engine: (No ads)
- Go to https://cse.expertrec.com/?platform=cse and click on Google site search replacement-
- Login-Sign in with your Google account-
- Enter the URL of the website you want to crawl and choose your nearest data center region.
- Now you will get a code to copy. Please add this code to a div element in your site’s body section. You need to add this on all pages where you want the search box to appear. Please note that this will also add the search box UI. You could also replace your Google site search code with our code.
- Initiate Crawl -Crawl/ indexing of your pages will start.
- You will get a control panel page to tweak your custom search features. Here you can check your demo.
- You can check the demo before taking live, by clicking on the demo link.
- Once you add the code to your site, search goes live. Search box looks similar to the following image. When a user presses enter the user interface looks like the above image.
- The default UI is the overlay UI where the search results pops up in the same page. Some customers want search results on a different page. For search results to come on a new page, go to Configuration->search layout->choose “search layout on different page”. In the additional info section add the search result path where you want search results to come on enter and the query parameter. After this, you have to get the new code and add it to your site to get the new search interface.
- In the below example, search result path is :”/search-results/” and q is the “query parameter” if your search results have the URL format http://providerconnection.davisvision.com/search-results/?q=lense
- A lot of our customers moving from google site search requested us to add this feature that would help them choose their own colors and font sizes for search results and we have obliged. Go to cse.expertrec.com-> sign in->look and feel-> Inputbox. Here you can make adjustments to the search box . You can edit the height, margin, padding, font size etc. You can also add custom css, your own font awesome icon for the search box and much more
- In some situations, you might want to crawl more than one url to show in search results. Go to https://cse.expertrec.com->sign-in->crawl settings->Add/edit URL->enter the URLs you want to crawl ->press update.
- By default, image search is disabled in expertrec’s google site search replacement. To enable this, go to crawl settings->custom fields->enable extractor->enter the CSS selector and attribute name->click update
- Sometimes you might want to crawl pages that are behind a login page. If you enter the following details in our control panel.
- Filter URLs you don’t want to show up in search results- Go to crawl settings->URL settings->Filter URLs-> enter the URls you don’t want to come in search results->Update.
- Our crawler by default ignores URLs that have GET paramters. To crawl URLs that have GET paramater enable this option
2. Using Google custom search-(Has ads)
- Visit https://cse.google.co.in/cse/ and sign in.
- Enter sites to search and click create:
- You will be taken to this page with 3 options- Add it to your site– You can get a code to add it to your site. View it on the web- see a demo of how it will look on your site. Modify your search engine – control panel to edit search settings.
- You can view a preview how the site search will look using the “view it on the web” link
- Control panel – Here you can manage search features, look and feel, choose to show autocomplete or not, add synonyms etc.
- Once you choose a Layout, click save and get code in the “look and feel tab”
- We now have to add this code inside a <div> in the <body> section on the pages we want site search to work and push changes to production site.
- Now your custom search is ready for use !
One of the major disadvantages of using Google custom search is that it shows ads on your site. If you are looking for an ad free experience, you could sign up for expertrec site search.
2. Duckduckgo customs search engine-
- Go to https://duckduckgo.com/search_box
- enter your website URL.
- Get the code .
- Add code to website and take live.
3. Yandex site search engine:
- Go to https://site.yandex.ru/searches
- Verify your site before you add using yandex webmasters.(https://webmaster.yandex.com/)
- Get the code to add.
- Choose styling options.
- Take live.
4. Bing site search-
Go to https://www.customsearch.ai and sign in with your microsoft account.
Click on new instance.
Enter the name of the search instance. You can change this later
Add URL to index
You can add more URLs based on your requirement.
Get API key. Click on API endpoint and click on issue trial key. You can also get a permanent key if you wish to.
Test your API key. If you are planning on using the API to implement search, you can paste the API key and click on “CALL” . this will show the response to the API call.
Configure your search layout. Go to the “hosted UI” tab and you can choose the
- Search layout
- Color theme
- Additional configurations (placeholder, results per page etc.)