In this article, we will see how to add search to your wordpress site. This method involves creating a custom search engine using expertrec.
Steps to add search in WordPress
Pre-requisites before creating a wordpress search engine-
- Have a live wordpress site. (not under development or staging)
- Have a wordpress sitemap created ( if you don’t have a wordpress sitemap you can create one by following instructions here https://www.expertrec.com/blog/wordpress-sitemap/ )
- Have access to the wordpress admin panel.
Here are steps to add search to your wordpress site in 5 minutes.
- Go to https://cse.expertrec.com/newuser?platform=wordpress.
- Enter your wordpress website URL and click on next->
- Enter your sitemap URL ( this is so that all the URLs in your sitemap get crawled and shown in search results. )
- Wait for the crawl of your wordpress site to complete.
- Download expertrec’s wordpress search extension from here -> Download link
- In your wordpress admin panel, go to Plugins-> Add New-> Upload plugin
- Upload expertrec wordpress zip and click install.
- Click on the Activate plugin.
- In your left panel you must be able to see expertrec’s wordpress plugin logo, click on that.
- Get your site ID from your expertrec control panel ( here ).
- Copy-paste your site id in your wordpress control panel and click on save changes.
- Make sure you have upgraded to a paid plan from here.(9 USD per month)
- That’s it ! Your brand new wordpress search is up and running! Here are snapshots of the search form and the search results pages.
- Snapshot of your wordpress search autocomplete.
- Snapshot of your wordpress search results page which has filters and facets
- Snapshot of your wordpress search spelling error tolerance feature- As you can see, a spelling mistake “gogle” has been corrected to “google”