Make sure that you read this blog on Google custom search stopped working for more information.
Google Custom Search engine on a website had stopped showing all results or was severely limiting the results. The search had worked for several years then suddenly it was either returning no results or very few irrelevant results. Google Search Console showed there were no reported issues, all pages were indexed by Google.
Google Custom Search Stopped Working – How to fix it?
- Check whether you have added the google custom search code correctly.
- If you have any website cache, try clearing it.
- Check that the websites to search are correctly mentioned. (check for URL patterns and other URL matches mistakes.
- Under negative filters, check the URLs that might cause issues.
Create a Google Custom Search Engine Alternative
Here we will visit the steps required to add the ExpertRec Custom search engine to your website. This is one of the easiest setup processes of all the available options out there and is highly recommended.
- Navigate to https://cse.expertrec.com/newuser?platform=cse and signup with your Google ID.
- Enter your website’s URL when prompted. You can select a server location near you and add the URL of your sitemap if you wish to. These will be auto-detected otherwise.
- You can play around with the settings and customize the UI as the crawl runs. Once it is complete, you can check out a fully functional demo before taking the search to your website.
- You can take the search to your website with little to no effort. All you need to do is to paste the code snippet available on the dashboard on your website.
ExpertRec comes with more customization options that you can explore. You can read this article to find a more detailed guide on the installation and configuration.