Read this blog on custom search module WordPress for more information.
A custom search engine is one that can be created by anyone. The developers can choose which websites to add to the search engine and limit the results to only those domains. The conventional way to go about it was to take a for from an existing open source project like Solr or Elastic search and then build the required features and the UI to add on a website. This was by no means an easy task and would often involve heavy developer costs.
But when on a CMS like WordPress, it is easier to use a plugin instead of building a search module from scratch.
How to Add a Custom search module WordPress
- Install WP fastest site search plugin from WordPress plugin store.
- Go to https://cse.expertrec.com/newuser?platform=wordpress.
- Enter your WordPress website URL and click on next->
- The crawl will start in the background.
- Login to your WordPress admin panel.
- In your left panel you must be able to see Expertrec’s WordPress plugin, click on that.
- Get your site ID (or) API key from your Expertrec control panel ( here ).
- Copy-paste your site id in your WordPress control panel and click on save changes.
- Make sure you have upgraded to a paid plan before 14 days of free trial. (Price begins at 9 USD per month)
- That’s it! Your brand new WordPress search is up and running!
- You can customize the search results page from the ExpertRec dashboard without any coding.