Site search is one of the most important features on any eCommerce store like Shopify. If your have issues in your Shopify search, it could mean lost revenue since your site search is the key to product discovery. If the default Shopify search is not working, you can find out common reasons as listed below. ex. desktop will be fine but sometimes issues on mobile. Expertrec Smart Search Bar is one of the easy ways to get rid of these issues.
On mobile devices, the search bar is hidden and will be shown with the click of magnifying glass icon. If Icons are not loaded correctly then the search bar will be always hidden. Loading via CDN is an easy way to fix this.
Theme specific Issues
Popular themes like Venture or Debut come with a search bar that is hidden in mobile devices and will open on click of magnifying glass icon. Sometimes search bar will be placed under the navigation drawer which is directly not visible. When themes are upgraded or changed manually issues related to the search bar are prominent. In such cases taking a backup of the existing theme is recommended and then an upgrade should be done.
Checking for plugin incompatibilities
In most cases, there could be another plugin that conflicts with your website search function. Try uninstalling plugins one by one and checking if your site search function works properly. The usual culprits are security and SEO plugins.
Clear Site Cache
If you are using any speed plugin for increasing the speed of your Shopify site, try clearing the cache and then check your search function. Checking without clearing the cache can show older products and not the recently updated ones.
Default search of Shopify is limited to handling user queries. “Search as you type” is not that tolerant. ex. NLP queries return no results.
Expertrec Smart Search Bar ($9 per month for Unlimited Queries)
Expertrec Smart Search Bar App is a sophisticated site search solution. It helps users to find relevant resources like products, pages, articles, collections in your store.
- Install Expertrec’s Shopify search extension from here.
- Once you install the extension, you will be directed to your control panel where you get full control of search results, look-n-feel, etc.
- This method also adds voice search as well to your Shopify store. This voice search works on chrome browsers only as of now.
- This will add Expertrec’s search bar to your Shopify store.
Prominent features of the plugin
- No issues related to themes
- Compatible with other plugins
- Sticky widget
- No caching issues
- Full Set of tools to control search results- Synonyms, Category/Products boosting, Smart 404 handing, Look-n-Feel, Merchandising, Personalization, etc.
- Free for lifetime
- For non-development stores with less than 100 products
- For development stores with less than 10,000 products
After you’ve installed the app, you will have a 14-day trial period. Expertrec search service is free for a lifetime for the development stores till the shop grows to 10,000 products. Similarly, for the non-development stores with less than 100 products, you can enjoy search service. You will need a subscription to have permanent access to some of the premium features. Expertrec Smart Search Bar App monthly subscription will be included in the Shopify Invoice and you will pay for the app together with the Shopify store fee.
We will be happy to answer your questions.