Expertrec site search (9 USD per month), SOLR, elastic search, duckduckgo, Yandex site search are some great google site search alternatives. Google site search is being discontinued as of April 1st 2018. Here are a few more search for sites alternatives that you can shift to.
- Expertrec– Take search live within 60 seconds is their tagline. One of the best google site search replacements with a lot of control panel features to take search live without coding. Prices begin at 9 USD per month No ads. No developer bandwidth required, All you have to do is add a piece of code to your website and thats it you have replaced your Google site search. Sign up
- Elaestic search hosted version– Hosted search as a service pricing begins at 79 USD per month. Requires developer bandwidth.
- Solr– Solr is used by many fortune 500 companies across the globe. Completely free- you could run it on your own server, but requires developer bandwidth for implementation. You would also require a crawler for getting this working ( you could use nutch or scrapy). There are a lot of resources available on the internet to help you out in implementing this.
- Elastic search – Open source – you could run it on your server, crawling has to be set up by you .
- Yandex site search– Free With Ads, but easy to implement- no coding required. Highly customizable. Go to https://site.yandex.ru/searches (make sure you have created an account already)->click “my search boxes” enter your website URL and get the code to be added. You will get a search box on your website similar to this.
- TIPUE–Tipue Search is a site search jQuery plugin. It’s free, open source, responsive and fast. Tipue Search only needs a browser that supports jQuery. It doesn’t need MySQL or similar. It doesn’t even need a web server.
- Sphinx– Sphinx is an open source full text search server
- Xapian– Xapian is a highly adaptable toolkit which allows developers to easily add advanced indexing and search facilities to their own applications. It supports the Probabilistic Information Retrieval model and also supports a rich set of boolean query operators.
- Open search server– Search Portal helps your building state of the art search experience.You manage the index, the records and the web templates.They take care of hosting your search service.
- Datapark search engine– DataparkSearch Engine is a full-featured open sources web-based search engine and can be used to search within a website, group of websites, intranet or local system.
- Strus-The open source project Strus provides a collection libraries and command line tools written in C++ for building a competitive, scalable full-text search engine.
- Manticore Search–Manticore Search is a feature-rich full-text oriented search engine that is fast, reliable and scalable. It is 100% open source project.
- Open semantic search– Free software for building your own search engine. Based on Apache Solr.
Do drop in any more alternatives that you might know of in the comments section and we will add it to the post here.
Note: Some of the open source google site search alternatives would require a crawler to set up to index your site content. You can utilize open source tools for crawling such as scrapy (easy to set up if you have knowledge in python), heiritrix (Java based), Apache Nutch (Java based). Needless to say these require developer bandwidth to implement and going for a simple Saas solution could be the best option.