How to fix your Magento search not working issue? Magento is good at a lot of things, search is not one of those. 100% working tips that can help in solving your Magento search not working issue or if your Magento search is not returning expected results.
You may also like: Best search for sites running on magento.
- Reindex Magento Data -In your magento admin panel Go to System > Configuration > Index Management> Select All> Reindex data> Submit
- Clear Magento cache– Go to System > Configuration > Cache Management and clear the cache.
- Reduce the number of attributes to search for– In the admin panel go to Catalogue>Attributes> Manage Attributes, remove those attributes that you don’t want to be searchable.
- Change the type of search set in Magento – Go to System > Configuration > Catalog > Catalog search. By default, the search “Like” is chosen. Change this to “Combine”. “Like” returns partial matches for the search query. “Full text” strictly restricts users to the exact search term and will not handle spelling errors. Combine should work good in most cases, but experiment with both “full text” and “combine” and choose whichever type returns better search results for your store.
- Update Attributes– Go to catalog->manage products->Select all->Update attributes.
- Make attributes searchable in quick search- Go to catalog-> attributes-> manage attributes->select an attribute-> Use in quick search-> Choose yes.
- Make attributes searchable in advanced search– Go to catalog-> attributes-> manage attributes->select an attribute-> Use in advanced search-> Choose yes.
- Go to your attribute settings and compare the settings of the SKU.
- Use Magento search extensions – If all the above things do not work, you could use Expertrec’s search engine. Install the extension from this link . (this extension works only for magento1.x. For price details, please visit https://www.expertrec.com/magento-search/#pricing.
- Magento 2 search not working how to fix?- If you are on Magento 2, you can download the extension from here.
- If you are a programmer, you can try the following.
- open fulltext.php and replace
$likeCond = '(' . join(' OR ', $like) . ')';
$likeCond = '(' . join(' AND ', $like) . ')';
- open fulltext.php and replace
- If you use full-text search, try also to configure MySQL, it can help if Magento search not working. The setup consists of two steps: an increasing of key_buffer_size “in your MySQL and enabling MySQL query cache. To check whether caching is enabled, you can make a query in the form:
SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'query_cache_size';
- Reindex Magento Data.
- Clear Magento cache.
- Reduce the number of attributes to search for.
- Change the type of search set in Magento.
- Update attributes.
- Quick search.
- Advanced search.
- Check SKU settings.
- Create a Magento custom search engine.
- Use Magento search extensions.
By following these steps, you should be able to solve your Magento search not working issue in both the search autocomplete and search listing pages in Magento 1 series till Magento 1.9.x. If you are not able to get your Magento search working even after following these steps, raise a support ticket from here with the subject line – Magento search not working and we will get back.
Learn more at www.expertrec.com