In this article we will see how to build a custom search engine for your website. Expertrec custom search engine works on all websites.
What is a custom search engine ?
A custom search engine crawls and indexes pages of your website and enables a search box on your website that. It also gives you options to fix the search relevance/logic and look and feel.
Here are functions fulfilled by the custom search engine.
- Crawls and indexes your website content.
- Adds a search box to your website.
- Let’s you edit the search relevance/ logic.
- Let’s your edit the look and feel of the search engine.
Here are steps to create a custom search engine using expertrec.
- Your site should be live. (not in staging or local host etc).
- Make sure your site is not behind a login ( for creating a search on behind login pages, refer to this article- /crawling-behind-login-authenticated-pages/
- Have a working sitemap (increases success of indexing all pages. You can create a free sitemap using options in this article /free-tools-for-creating-sitemap/)
- Go to https://cse.expertrec.com/?platform=cse
- Enter your website URL.
- Enter your sitemap URL.
- Choose your nearest data-center. (ideally a region close to you)
- Wait for crawl to complete (this could take more time (5 minutes to a day) based on the number of pages in your site).
- Test the demo of your search engine.
- Contact support if you need any help from here.
- Add code to your website.
- Usually the code is of the below format – replace api_key with your api key.
- If you need help, email the code to your developer or webmaster.
- You can use the control panel to edit the look, feel an relevance of the search engine.
- Take live.
- Upgrade to a paid plan. Pricing plans here- (https://www.expertrec.com/#pricing)